Monday, 24 March 2014

Motivational Tips For Getting Fit That I'm Learning On the Way | LBB Fit

Hey readers!

Tonight I am talking with my mom about IIFYM eating, and I was thinking of some tips about keeping herself motivated that I could mention while I am teaching this to her.  I thought I would share them with you as well!

These tips are what I use to remind myself how far I've come, and to motivate me to keep going!

1.  When a technique has failed to work, don't think of it as "I have failed" think of it as "I have found what doesn't work for me" move on, try something new.  I struggled with giving up for so long that I had to change my perspective on weight loss.  

2.  YOU have to put the effort in.  If YOU don't want it then it won't happen.  No one can do this for you.  Decide what's important to you and stick to it.

3.  Be selfish.  If you want to lose weight you have to put yourself first.  It's awesome if you have supportive people around you, but what if you don't? There's always going to be someone who wants you to eat bad treats.  It's up to you to say NO.  Take control and don't feel bad about saying no.  They will understand.  You won't lose weight if you are constantly having treats and cheats.

If you are living with a partner and they don't like what you are cooking then either 1. tell them to make their own or 2. do what you have to do to hit your goals- which might mean making separate meals.  Mark and I don't usually eat together during the day, but when I do make supper I might make white potato fries for him and yam fries for myself.  This is such a simple substitution and you aren't sacrificing your goals.  Eating healthy doesn't have to be difficult- most times it's actually easier.

4.  Something you commonly hear- "I hit a plateau, I guess it's over." NO! Keep going!! Think of how far you have come.  Sometimes the scale doesn't reflect progress.  It WILL change in time.  Don't undo your progress.

5. Don't be so stinkin' hard on yourself! You will fail, you will slip up, you will binge, there will be a week where you slow down, you will want to quit 10 times a month.  It's OKAY.  This is a journey, not a race.  If you truly want to make a lifestyle change then you have to realize you can't live in perfect conditions all the time.  Eat the birthday cake, go out with your friends, enjoy that restaurant meal with your partner in middle of the week- the next day or next meal just get back at it.  You just have to remind yourself of your goals and realize what's important, but is okay to take a time out.

6. Always be positive and kind to yourself. Be proud.  When you look in the mirror, realize how far you've come.  Your tummy might still have flab, but you are further than you were yesterday. 

7.  Slow progress is still progress.  There may be a month where you only lose 2lbs.  You are still 2lbs smaller than you were last month.  Nothing good comes easy.

8. A BAD WEEKEND WON'T DESTROY YOU. OMG! When I stepped on the scale after my birthday weekend (2 days).... I was up 7lbs.  THAT'S NOT REAL WEIGHT- IT'S WATER WEIGHT.  I was back to normal in 2 days of proper diet and exercise.  Once you get over this, and don't let it discourage you, it becomes much easier.

9.  This follows the last tip- realize that your weight fluctuates day to day, hour to hour.  I weigh myself every morning.  Some might say that's not good, but it works for me because I see how food affects me.  Some people do weekly or monthly weigh ins. If that works for you- great.  I don't like it because my weight fluctuates and that ONE particular day could be a day after retaining too much water for example.

10.  Stop thinking there are quick fixes.  There are ZERO quick fixes that LAST.  If you want your results to last you have to eat right (don't starve yourself) and exercise.  It's slow, but it works.  So next time you see a magazine with a diet that will help you lose 10lbs in 2 weeks... seriously, just look the other way.  You got to start realizing there's no special tricks, and nothing happens overnight.  It took you 5 months to put on 30lbs- well sorry to say, but it's probably going to take that long to get it off properly.

11.  You don't need a Monday to start your journey.... Start the next morning or even the next MEAL.  Get up, get going!
 
12. Make it fun.  It doesn't have to feel like work.  Find what works for you and switch it up!!

If I think of anymore I will update my post! :)  Hope these tips help someone!









No comments: